Building your own website can be very simple if you use the right tools. This how to do it yourself.
- REGISTER YOUR DOMAIN NAME - The domain is the name by which people find your web site. Most excellent hosting companies will offer to register your domain name for free or for a small fee. I use and recommend BlueHost.com for registering your domain name.
- BUY HOSTING SERVICE – The second piece to starting your website is to buy hosting service. This is space on a server that you control to ‘serve’ your website from. Again, I recommend using BlueHost.com to provide hosting services. There are many good hosting service providers like hostgator.com and many others
- INSTALL WORDPRESS – Once you have your domain name and hosting you are ready to install WordPress. Both BlueHost.com and hostgator.com provide one click install scripts that are extremely easy.
- INSTALL A THEME – After the one click install you are ready to provide some style by choosing a theme. Themes are pre-packaged designs ready for you to use. Many are free and WordPress makes it super easy to install. Login to your WordPress admin > click on ‘Appearance’ (left side) > then ‘Themes’. Now look for a large tab at the top of the page titled ‘Install Themes’. Follow the on page instructions to install. It’s that easy.
- ADD YOUR CONTENT – Now that you have your theme it needs your content. You can add text, images, videos and files for your visitors to see and use. Start by clicking on posts to add your content. It’s a basic text editor so it’s easy to write what you want.
WordPress is a great resource for anyone. There are many options that allow you to add functionality like custom forms, logos, social media feeds, live chat and much much more. These few steps will get you started on your way to creating your web site. Have fun!